Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Is it worth it to get that guide??

I have always been a fan of strategy guides.


Well...lets change that.  I have been a fan of them since I got one for Final Fantasy VII.  I don't like cheat codes.  Never have really been a fan of them cause that is purely cheating.  Guides just help to show you the way to go when you happen to be lost, or want to know how the hell to get that mythical, magical, unicorn shaped, blinking, necromancer boots which never make it into the conversation of the game and thus you would have gone by them completely if not for the game.

I don't get one for every game that I play or have.  I do have some constants, like I get them usually for a FF game or really any RPG.  I used to get them for multiplayer online games, however those change so much that the guide is usually useless after 1 or 2 version updates.  What sucks is these things are expensive, so thats usually like 20 to 30 bucks down the hole.  (The beauty of wikia sites and IGN.com to provide information is nice for these).

If you think of it though after you get through the game you are not really going to go through the guide again like if it were a book.  Yes I know you could replay the game and all, but I am not always someone who replays and replays games (unless it is FFVIII, that is a crazy story of forgetfulness).  If you write in the damn things then you can't really sell them back for much.  Plus if you are desperate enough to by a used guide, then hit yourself in the head and look up info on the sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment