Sunday, April 14, 2013

Gaming Together

When I was growing up I never played two player games that much.  I mean I played a lot games that had two, sometimes three, player options on them.  Secret of Mana is one.  In fact, that is an amazing game and most likely one of the greatest of all time (damn do they need a sequel to that).

I just chose to play games by myself cause I am a depressing loner (I swear I am not that emo).  I retract the depressing loner statement and add that I am just a tad introverted.  I liked to just hang out at home by myself at times.  No problems with that at all.


Nowadays I still play many games by myself, but I have a few that allow for more than one player to enjoy at one time.  A lot of these are on the Wii, or really any Nintendo platform.  Nintendo makes good multiplayer, non-shooting, games for people to enjoy with others in the living room.

Now I come to Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii.  My mother graciously got the game for me for Christmas and the wife and I started playing it about a month ago.  We haven't played too many games together (really, its probably under the amount of 5) and my wife loves the Mario series.  She is a huge fan of Super Mario 2 and 3.  She is the boss at Super Mario 3.

So the wife says that she wants to play Galaxy one day, and I say sure.  Its setup so that if you play with a second person, the first player does all the controls of Mario, and the second player is there mostly to help pick up star fragments, shoot them at enemies, and talk with you about things.  Knowing this I told her she should be the first player and I would be second player.  We started off with this setup and were doing great until having to fight the prequel boss.  Its really hard to keep Mario moving and the world be on a 3D planet that moves around.  Makes my damn head hurt a lot.

So we realized that maybe we should change things up and have me "drive" the adventure and the wife would man the co-pilot.  The game became a lot more fun.

From inappropriate comments about shooting stars at certain things mouths (plus their reaction/enjoyment of a tasty treat for them), to figuring out how to get through different obstacles, to just staying up later than we normally do because we are enjoying the moment with each other.  All of it is amazing.  I love playing games with my wife.  I found it funny that the first time we went a couple of days without playing she texted me to say that she was really hoping to play tonight.  We have kicked major ass and are at level 3.1.

Don't get me wrong.  Its not a secret that a lot of male gamers would love to be in a relationship with someone who plays games with them.  Who appreciates them as much as them.  I have for years wanted my wife to do that.  But now, just playing the game together I am discovered that I am glad she isn't as much of a gamer as me.

I am not as hardcore a gamer as others, but I do play frequently.  I also know my information and can hold up pretty well with others.  So thinking that I want that special someone in my life to be at that same level is a little frightening.  Yeah it would be cool at first, but then we would probably spend a lot of time just playing games and competing between each other without going out and enjoying new things.  My wife loves to run. Hell she ran a marathon.  She has gotten me to run a little here and there, something that I would not have probably done on my own.  I have experienced art museums, owning a kickass dog, and lots of other things that I might not do by myself, or by having someone who is just like me.

Now my wife just playing Mario games, and really small mobile puzzle games is great.  Because when she sits down and watches me play games, she sometimes asks questions about the story or what is happening.  She can get into things or just sit and read, knowing that I am getting some enjoyment in my moments of just escaping.  A little game therapy.  However its when she plays games on a console that my eyes light up.  She has this fascination with the games.  So much fun playing and enjoying them that I sometimes end up thinking "when was the last time I had this kind of exposure to a game where I was so in touch with things"?  I am not saying my wife is a little child, however she plays things with the enthusiasm of a person coming to it for the first time.  I love that.

This is something that I wouldn't have if I married a gamer.  This is something that would be rare if nonexistent if I married someone who played games as much as me.  I would not get this inspiration to look more into the games I choose if I didn't see the face my wife makes when playing Mario.  I love my wife, and this is something that makes me love her even more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment