Thursday, April 11, 2013

Dissidia Final Fantasy...... Disappointment

from www.neoseeker.com
If Squall in the above picture represents Dissidia Final Fantasy, I am Rinoa (I swear I don't secretly want to be a woman).

Why am I sad??  It clearly isn't because the game is over.

Noooooo.

I am sad because the game really did not start for me.  I was so horribly disappointed with the product that SE made that I want to hit myself repeatedly.  Just enough so a smile will spread over my face before I succumb to the coma.

Then in said coma I will compose the greatness that could have occurred in Dissidia properly so maybe my happiness will wake me up so I can get on with this speck of life on a floating rotating rock in the grand universe.

Wow.

That was weirdly, depressing and deep.

Years ago I played a game called Ehrgeiz for Playstation.  It was advertised that you could play as Sephiroth, as well as other characters from FFVII.  I was obsessed with FFVII at the time so I thought this was going to be an amazing game.  Going to be the greatest of great ever.

I was disappointed.  I just never could get into the game that much.  I don't know what it was.  Maybe I just didn't understand the story that well.  Maybe fighting games are not my thing.  Who knows.  All I know is that when I saw Dissidia Final Fantasy I thought that this was going to blow Ehrgeiz out of the water.  I was going to love it.  I had to love it since it had all the main heros and villians from each FF game.

It didn't live up to the hype that I placed on it.  And that pissed me off.

There are four game options to the game.

The first is the lackluster arcade mode.  You have to fight off enemies one after another.  I did this when I wanted to be distracted for 5 minutes.  It was not enjoyable to me at all.  I like in Tekken how they did this option, and other fighting games.  But it was so nerfed in Dissidia that I couldn't take it.

The second was the multiplayer.  I never used the multiplayer.  My PSP has issues with getting online, plus I just didn't feel much of a draw to play with others.  I am such a loner.  Nah.  I just don't play a lot of multiplayer games.

The third was the Quick Battle system.  I actually played this a lot.  I enjoyed this system a lot.  Basically, you would select a character to play as (good or bad), and then any other character (good or bad) fight against, any stage to fight in, and then their strength.  I used this to level up my characters so I could get through the story easier.  That was the main reason at first.  But then it got addicting when I would build up my little chocobo level thingy, get lots of gil and ap, and really want revenge on that damn villain for kicking my ass over and over again.  This is what should have been emphasized more.  I don't know how but damnit make it so.

The fourth system to talk about is the Story mode.  The meat and potatoes of the game.  Basically take the quick battle system, put a story and journey behind things and you have the story mode.  You went through the 10 heroes stories individually, playing as each.  You would unlock rewards, equipment, summons, level skills, all of that.  The story though was what got me.

Somehow everyone has amnesia, but they are chasing after their respective enemy.  Well, the heroes have amnesia.  The villains now the past it seems.  For the most part they would make things way too hokey, too kid like that I couldn't digest it.  You take characters like Cloud, Squall, Zidane, and Tidus and make them just seem off from how we remember them from their respective FF game.  You would take characters from FFII-FFV and add more to them as a character that look like you trying.  Hell, they took the Warrior of Light from FFI and gave him dialogue and a story.  He was my favorite character in this car wreck of pixels. I think it was because he didn't have so much a back story as everyone else.  It just worked.

Once you get through the 10 storylines, you then get several additional storylines that follow additional events.

THIS IS WHERE THE GAME SHOULD HAVE STARTED.

I liked how raw and dark the story was.  How downright depressing it sometimes could get.  This is what I wanted.  I spent hours going through happytown to get to something that was equal to a FF game.

And then it was over.

Final CS plays (I really like the final CS.  In fact all of the cutscenes were beautiful) and the game is over.

Now there are some extra parts that I could play through, however I didn't have it in for me.  This was a title that I quickly realized that I was going to put down once I Beat it.

Would I recommend it to people to play?

Ehhh.  If you want to spend the discounted money on it, then do it up.  Don't worry about searching for it though.  Its not that desperate of a situation to play the game I would say.

In the end, I might pick this up to work on getting a Complete when I do Extra-Life in November.  Who knows.




No comments:

Post a Comment